Pages

Saturday 1 March 2014

It's March on ARTastic ...

Welcome to our challenge this month.  Another wonderful inspirational artwork for you to admire.  So very many possibilities for this piece - will the birds inspire you or perhaps the colours?  Is  it  the sky that catches your eye or the wonderful gold texture?  We'd love to see what this artwork inspires in your creative heart.  Please support us in our endeavour to bring you a quality challenge blog - we would love to see your entry.

This month we welcome Kylie from Shop and Crop Scrapbooking as our monthly sponsor.  

As a family business we strive to bring you all the latest from the Scrapbooking and Papercraft Industry, all our staff are very experienced and talented scrapbookers...We pride ourselves on great customer service, with a quick turn around of your orders of instock items.  We cater to both the online customers and through our store front at 10/335 Hillsborough Road Warners Bay,  We love nothing better than for everyone to drop in, have a coffee on us and browse and enjoy all the great scrapbooking products.


We also thank James from Alacraft and Julie from Time to Create for their continued support throughout this year.



Lyn Butchart - Bluebirds

Criteria - Texture

Lyn Butchart draws her inspiration from the vibrant, textural and ethereal spirit of nature.
Born in 1951 in Manildra NSW of Aboriginal Irish Swedish descent, Lyn has developed a unique individual style ranging from contemporary to abstract. Her fascination with the ocean inspires intricate underwater scenes, a theme she is renowned for.  She undertakes extremely large works on paper, some of the largest in Australia, and incorporates strong vibrant colours that bring harmony and balance to her paintings.  Lyn is a self taught artist with over 25 years tutoring experience. She has participated in many solo and group exhibitions, and her work is held in private and corporate collections worldwide. Her work has also been featured in numerous national art magazines featuring watercolour and mixed media works.  Lyn lives and works in Grafton northern New South Wales, and travels frequently to conduct workshops in regional areas around Australia.

http://www.lynbutchart.com.au/index.htm


and now the amazing interpretations from the first half of our design team ...





This was a beautiful inspiration by Lyn Butchart titled "Bluebirds". I was
really moved by the feelings when I first saw this.

I have worked on a mixed media canvas here with my 'All A Flutter', with layers of impasto, paints, gelatos & stencils, paper serviettes/napkins mod podged, inks, little Prima birdies, flowers & leaves... & I really loved playing with all those mediums.


 

I have used a lot of texture to create this canvas. I used dress making patterns, paint, ink, rubons, paper, chipboard and twine.


JULIE

As I began thinking about this month's challenge I looked at my Wall of Texture - being embossing plates.  So versatile and just a little neglected. Check put my BLOG though as I added even more texture.


Can you guess what with?


DEB

Inspired by the birds, I decided to create a “scene” for my birdie photo.  With three layers of background paper, I have crumpled the top layer which I think creates a great base for a textured layout.



HELENE

I used modelling paste and masks to make texture (small and big dots) on the background. I wanted to stick to the colors on the inspiration piece and used watercolors to create a blue background. I also added a bird. (Blue and birds are not requested).


KYLIE


 I was really inspired by the artwork. I take a lot of bird photos throughout the year (I'm a twitcher - that's a bird watcher!), and I've been looking for a challenge to use these three Sea Eagle pics. It was quite difficult with the pale background to get the textures I wanted. Raptors (eagles, hawks, etc) are my favourite birds. I look forward to seeing them more than any other family group. How did I do it - with layers. Lots and lots of layers - some quite transparent!




Please upload the DIRECT link to your actual entry with the link tool on the LEFT by 11.55pm on March 31st, 2014. We'd love to see your new paper, digital, or off the page entries.  Please no back-dated submissions.  You may combine with a sketch and/or colour/technique challenge and international entries are always welcome.  

Please pop back on the 8th for The ARTastic 3T's - Tips, Tricks and Techniques brought to you this month by the team member Elaine Schoof.  I'm sure you will love what she has done to inspire you.



1 comment:

  1. Wonderful inspiration & wonderful projects gals...

    ReplyDelete