Pages

Wednesday 28 October 2009

Artist for October is Vincent van Gogh - Starry Night

Vincent Willem van Gogh (30 March 1853 – 29 July 1890) was a Dutch Post-Impressionist artist whose paintings have had a far reaching influence on 20th century art.

Many of his pieces—including his numerous self portraits, landscapes, portraits and sunflowers—are among the world's most recognizable and expensive works of art. Little appreciated during his lifetime, his reputation increased in the years after his death. Today, he is regarded as one of history's greatest artists and an important contributor to the foundations of modern art. His younger brother Theo continually provided financial and emotional support. Their lifelong friendship, and most of what is known of Vincent's thoughts and theories of art, is recorded in the hundreds of letters they began exchanging in August 1872.

Van Gogh suffered from anxiety and was unsettled for most of his life. He spent his early adulthood working for a firm of art dealers in The Hague, London and Paris, after which he taught in England. An early vocational aspiration was to become a pastor and preach the gospel; he eventually worked as a missionary in a poor mining region in Belgium. In 1879, he began to sketch people from the local Belgian community drawing scenes from ordinary life. In 1880, he took formal art classes, which included the study of anatomy, still-life and landscape. He began to paint in 1882 with the encouragement of his cousin-in-law anton Mauve. By 1885, he was living in Nuenen, where he painted his first major work, the Potatoe Eaters. At the time, his palette consisted mainly of sombre earth tones and showed no sign of the vivid coloration that distinguished his later work. In March 1886, he moved to Paris where he discovered the French Impressionists and made his artistic breakthrough. His work developed rapidly and grew brighter in color. He quickly developed a uniquely recognizable style, one fully realized by the time he departed for Arles in February 1888, having painted over 200 paintings.

Van Gogh did not begin his career as an artist until he was about 27. During his last ten years he produced more than 2,000 pieces, including around 900 paintings as well as 1,100 drawings and sketches. Most of his best-known works were produced during his final two years, amid recurrent bouts of mental illness. He died at the age of 37 from a self inflicted gunshot wound.

The inspiration for your layouts will come from this sample of his art work
called 'Starry Night'


Cheers
Shazza

24 comments:

  1. what an interesting read that was shazza, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing body of work... so many paintings and sketches! I agree... a great read! Thank you Shazza! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to make something from this beautiful art work. I even have sun visors for my car windshield with this painting.

    Blessings,
    Christine

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my absolute favorite paintings! I will definitely try to participate in this challenge! Great choice! I even have my kindergartners learn about Van Gogh and draw this painting with chalk.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much for the invitation, and what great inspiration, I'm looking forward to making a Starry Night inspired layout, After all this IS one of my favorite pieces of art! I'll be sure to submit something very soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. thanks for the invitation... love the inspiration piece, one of my favorites for sure... :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. thanks for inviting me to check out your blog!!! i love the concept of getting the inspiration from famous works of art!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOW This challenge is amazing, Thank you for the invitation, I will definitely try to work on this. I love his art.

    ReplyDelete
  9. sorry it took me so long, but I've just emailed about my submission (check my blog too!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Shazza, thanks for stopping by my blog and for the invite to join the challenge. You have a very cool and inspirational blog here, and I look forward to participating!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Shazza-Thanks for the invitation to stop by. Your blog looks great! Love Starry Night.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Van Gogh - one of my all-time faves! LOVE this site!!! Thanks for telling me about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Shazza,

    Thanks for visiting my blog and introducing me to your wonderful blog challenge. I will certainly participate. I've already picked up a tip or two from you. I will be back to explore a bit further when I've settled back in from my trip.

    Jeanette

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow thanks for check out my blog, I had no idea so many were watching. Thanks for the invite! Is it ok if I do a card instead of a layout? This challenge intreges me though, so it might require a layout. Hmmmmm
    Well thanks again. Jess

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello Shazza,

    I'm still looking at your blog, but I love art! So I can tell from this fist thing I've read I'm glad you left me a comment to come by for a visit. :) Martha

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Shazza, Well I did a big card and emailed it to you. I'm not sure about the size as I'm computer challenged. I'm going to load it to my blog so if it's not the right size, you can snatch it from my blog! lol Thanks for the inspiration. Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love this painting by Van Gogh and hope to do
    it justice with a layout......thanks for stopping by my blog and giving me your blogs...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks Shazza for the invite. I'm extra busy right now as we have 2 kids getting married. Maybe in the future. I'm glad you like my art. Ever heard of the "Christmas Box"? I did 3 paintings for the author.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am going to attempt this I know it took me some time to respond but I already have it in mind should be able to finish tomorrow and post--keep your fingers crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  21. here is my interpretation--I was not sure how to post it or where to post it. so here is the link to my blog where it is--thanks I loved doing this.

    http://txzrock.blogspot.com/2009/10/my-take-on-starry-night.html

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi and thank you so much for the nice comments you left on my blog, your blogs are great!! I became a follower of this one.. I wont beable to do this challenge.but I will try the others thanks again
    hugs normajean

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi!! I just post my LO at my blog! Hugs!
    Http://jackietorres.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hey Shazza, I've left you a little something on my blog. Thanks for opening my eyes to challenges.

    ReplyDelete