Pages

Monday 1 June 2015

Welcome to June ...

This month we hope to inspire you with this truly delightful painting by Luka Va called "Bird King". 


CRITERIA is wood veneer and/or birds.

A little about Luka Va

I’ve been drawing since childhood. You know, almost every child likes to draw but one day they just stop. Probably like many illustrators, I just didn’t lose it. Later I studied design and thought that I can make logos or chairs and other things. A few members of my family were architects and designers. I thought – that’s what grown up people do. But soon I had to realize that illustrating is a much bigger joy. Especially drawing quirky animals. When I moved to Australia, I found that it’s pretty popular and ‘normal’ profession, not just a hobby.  I keep searching for my style and use different techniques but even when I try to make to something serious, it comes out still a little bit funny and naive. I don’t have the word for my style, but a lot of people call it quirky.

http://www.luk.lt/


And some inspiration from the first of our team ...

LIZZY
 I was totally inspired by the blue tones and the wood for this page, as well as the design, with the clustering around the main image. I’ve taken these ideas and transferred them to my page. I was so happy to find some old magnetic wood [really plastic!] scrabble tiles to use for part of the title!

DEB
Lots of inspiration to be taken from this month’s challenge - mine came from the colours,  the woodgrain background,  the birds layered and tucked in (used this as inspiration for my photos/embellishments) and the patterns on the birds inspired the doodling on my page.

ELAINE
I love the colour aqua, so I had to go with that when I saw the inspiration piece, along with pops of orange from the main bird's beak. I have gone with a wood look background and then used wooden embellishments including a little wooden bird.

HELENE
I have both birds (on two different patterned papers) and a wood veneer (with a geo tag) on my layout.

JO
 I've used both wood veneer and birds on this page.

JANE
I love quirky - why be the same when you can be that little bit different eh!  And therefore I really like little sparrows, plain and common they may be but they are full of little quirks and chirps and will adjust to their circumstances and situations readily and happily just like these little fellows from across the ditch have done. 


And now it is your turn ......

Please upload the DIRECT link to your actual entry with the link tool on the LEFT by 11.55pm on June 30th, 2015.  We'd love to see your new paper, digital, mixed media or off the page entries. Why not try doing a pocket page spread?  Please no back-dated submissions.  

 You may combine our challenge with a sketch and a product/technique challenge (so two additional challenges).  Please include our inspirational picture and challenge details on your blog post as well as provide a link back to us at ARTastic  ... and don't forget to tell us how you were inspired by our challenge.  

You may enter more than once in any month as long as each submission is with a different creation.  International entries are very welcome. 


Please pop back on the 8th for The ARTastic 3T's - Tips, Tricks and Techniques brought to you this month by our wonderful team member, Helene Bogren

Our May winners will also be announced at this time so please make sure you call past.

1 comment:

  1. Love everyone's take on the challenge, fabulous!
    Mary

    ReplyDelete